Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Quilt of Prayer and Hope

I am diligently working on my trade. But, I also started a new quilt with my kids. My oldest just found out last week that one of his friends has lung cancer Stage 3. So we came up with the idea of a prayer quilt and we are making it in the school colors blue and green in a bow tie pattern and will get all of the kids in his class to sign a square and say a prayer of hope for this child. I don't know the family well but I remember one time in church when my oldest was 2. I was having a struggle with being told to sit in the cry room with my child during a family discussion service. I said no that I would rather leave than to be cast away to a room where I would only be allowed to listen and not participate. I was hurt and angry at the same time. My child was playing quietly on the floor in the pew with a small car I truely felt he was not being a distrubance or I would not have been able to be there anyway. We sat in the back away from the main group to begin with and I was enjoying the fact that I could actually be there in the first place. At any rate this woman came up to me during the confrontation and would not let me leave. She put her arm around me and said come and sit with my family. It will be fine. So I did. I have never forgotten her kindness and warmth. I only wish I could do more than make a quilt and pray for her and her child and family.

1 comment:

entoto said...

Mary, that is a lovely story. How's your boy doing with all this?